If you're looking for a material that is both incredibly strong and transparent, polycarbonate is the answer. This ultra-strong plastic polymer is used in a variety of applications where extreme impact resistance and clarity are essential. But what exactly is polycarbonate, and why is it the material of choice for DefenseLite security glazing?
What is Polycarbonate?
Polycarbonate is a thermoplastic that belongs to the polyester family of plastics. It is made from a chemical reaction that combines bisphenol-A (BPA) with carbonyl chloride or diphenyl carbonate. This process can be repeated over and over again, making polycarbonate a very versatile and recyclable material.
One of the most important properties of polycarbonate is its strength. It is approximately 250 times stronger than glass, yet significantly lighter in weight. This makes it ideal for applications where high impact resistance is required, such as security glazing, riot shields, and bulletproof glass.
Polycarbonate is also very transparent, allowing over 90% of light to pass through. This makes it a great choice for windows and doors, as it provides excellent visibility while still offering superior protection. Protection isn't just physical, polycarbonate can block a large portion of UV radiation, which helps to protect people and furnishings from sun damage.
Why is DefenseLite made from Polycarbonate?
There are many reasons why DefenseLite uses polycarbonate for its security glazing products. Here are just a few:
- Strength: As mentioned above, polycarbonate is incredibly strong and can withstand even the most severe impacts. This makes it an ideal material for protecting homes and businesses from break-ins and vandalism.
- Clarity: DefenseLite polycarbonate sheets are optically clear and distortion-free, so you can enjoy the same level of visibility as you would with traditional glass.
- UV protection: Polycarbonate blocks a significant amount of UV radiation, which helps to protect people and furnishings from sun damage.
- Weather resistance: Polycarbonate is resistant to the elements, so it can withstand rain, snow, and wind without degrading.
- Lightweight: Polycarbonate is much lighter than glass, so it is easier to install and transport.
In addition to these benefits, DefenseLite polycarbonate sheets are also customizable. They are available in a variety of tints and thicknesses, so you can choose the perfect option for your needs.
If you are looking for a security glazing solution that is both strong and transparent, DefenseLite is the perfect choice. Contact us today to learn more about our products and how they can help you protect your property.